High School Assistant Syllabus 2018 – (Physical Science) Malayalam Medium: Kerala Public Service Commission has published exam calendar for the month of June July and August 2018. High School Assistant (Physical Science) Malayalam Medium exam Category No.227/2016 will be held on 2nd August 2018.
Table of Contents
High School Assistant Syllabus 2018
High School Assistant (Physical Science) Malayalam Medium main syllabus for the examination details are given below:
Module I : Renaissance and freedom movement
Module II: General Knowledge and current affairs
Module III: Methodology of teaching the subject
|History/conceptual development. Need and Significance, Meaning Nature and Scope of the Subject.|
|Correlation with other subjects and life situations.|
|Aims, Objectives, and Values of Teaching – Taxonomy of Educational Objectives – Old and revised|
|Pedagogic analysis- Need, Significance and Principles.|
|Planning of instruction at Secondary level- Need and importance. Psychological bases of Teaching the subject – Implications of Piaget, Bruner, Gagne, Vygotsky, Ausubel and Gardener – Individual difference, Motivation, Maxims of teaching.|
|Methods and Strategies of teaching the subject- Models of Teaching, Techniques of individualizing instruction.|
|Curriculum – Definition, Principles, Modern trends and organizational approaches, Curriculum reforms – NCF/KCF.|
|Instructional resources- Laboratory, Library, Club, Museum- Visual and Audio-Visual aids – Community based resources – e-resources – Text book, Work book and Hand book.|
|Assessment; Evaluation- Concepts, Purpose, Types, Principles, Modern techniques – CCE and Grading- Tools and techniques – Qualities of a good test – Types of test items- Evaluation of projects, Seminars and Assignments – Achievement test, Diagnostic test – Construction, Characteristics, interpretation and remediation.|
|Teacher – Qualities and Competencies – different roles – Personal Qualities – Essential teaching skills – Micro-teaching – Action research.|
High School Assistant Syllabus 2018 – Core Subjects
- Eigen functions and Eigen values
- Postulates of quantum mechanics Time Schrodinger wave equation
- Application to particle in a one dimensional box
- Normalization of wave functions
- Application of Schrodinger wave equation to hydrogen atom
- Conversion of Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates
- Radial and angular functions (mention only)
- Orbitals and concept of Quantum numbers
- Energy levels in molecules
- Born-Oppenheimer approximation.
- Rotational, vibrational,Raman, Electronic and NMR spectroscopy: Basic Principles and applications.
Elements of symmetry of molecules Amorphous and crystalline solids , Defects in crystals – Stoichiometric and non stoichiometric defects .
- Ideal and non ideal solutions -Henry’s law , Raoult’s law
- Dilute solutions, Colligative properties, Abnormal molecular mass, Van’t Hoff factor.
- Solubility product and common ion effect, precipitation of cations , Principles of volumetric analysis, Theories of indicators.
- Principles and applications of Column chromatography, Paper chromatography, Thin layer chromatography, Ion exchange chromatography, – Rf values.
- Structure and applications of silicones, silicates and zeolites. Cement , Glass , Inorganic fertilizers , Rocket propellants (Brief study) Types of pollution: Air and water. Pollutants , Control of air and water pollution Atom Models.
- Planck’s quantum Theory, Photoelectric effect, de Broglie’s relation, Dual nature of matter and radiation, Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle.
- Atomic orbitals and Quantum numbers
- Pauling’s Exclusion principle
- Hund’s rule of maximum multiplicity
- Aufbau’s principle – Electronic configuration of atoms.
- Ionic bond – Properties, Born-Lande equation (derivation not expected), Born-Haber cycle – Fajan’s rules and its applications.
- Covalent bond – Valence bond theory–VSEPR Theory – Concept of Hybridisation –-Types: sp, sp2, sp3, dsp2
, sp3 d, d2 sp3, sp3 d2 – Explanation with simple examples.
- Molecular Orbital Theory – LCAO – Bonding and anti bonding molecular orbitals – Bond order. Theories of Metallic bonding: Free electron theory, valence bond theory and band theory (Basics concepts only).Hydrogen bond – Intra and inter molecular hydrogen bond.
- Periodic laws, – Periodic properties – Electronegativity scales (Pauling and Mullikan scales) – Effective nuclear charge – Slater rule – Diagonal relationship Representative and Transition Elements – General Characteristics, preparation and properties of simple compounds.
- Lanthanides and actinides Metals: Occurrence, Concentration of ores, Refining of metals, Extractive metallurgy of Al, Fe, Ni, Cu and Ti – Classification of steel, hardening of steel.
- Isomerism in coordination compounds – Werner’s theory -EAN rule – Valence bond theory – Crystal filed theory – Splitting of d-orbitals in octahedral, tetrahedral and square planar complexes –Applications Organometallic Compounds: Definition, Classification and Applications Radioactivity –Natural and artificial, Nuclear stability – N/P ratio –Nuclear forces –Half life period – Gieger Nuttal rule –Disintegration series – Transmutation , Nuclear fission and Nuclear fusion –Application of radioactive isotopes Postulates of kinetic theory of gases – Collision number.
- First law of thermodynamics – Joule-Thomson effect – Liquefaction of gases – Inversion temperature. Second law of thermodynamics – Concept of entropy – Entropy as criteria of spontaneity. Free energy functions – Hess’s law, Bond energies. Third law of thermodynamics.
- Law of mass action – Law of chemical equilibrium – Equilibrium constant in terms of concentration, partial pressure and mole fractions Van’t Hoff’s equation – Homogeneous and heterogeneous equilibria – Le Chatelier’s Principle and its applications.
- Rate of a reaction – Factors influencing the rate of a reaction – Rate law – Order and molecularity – Rate constants for first, second, third and zero order reactions – half life period for first order reaction- Arrhenius equation – Collision theory – Transition state theory – Homogeneous and heterogenous catalysis – Enzyme catalysis Photosynthesis – Simple Photochemical reactions – Fluorescence – Phosphorescence Chemisorption and physisorption – Factors affecting adsorption – Adsorption isotherms Classification , Preparation, purification and properties of colloids, Protective colloids – Gold number – Applications of colloids.
- Phase Equilibria: Components and degrees of freedom – One component and two component systems (Simple cases only) Faraday’s laws, Kohlrausch’s law – Arrhenius theory, Ostwald’s dilution law – Debye -Huckel – Onsager’s equations for strong electrolytes, Galvanic cells, electrochemical series – Nernst equation Uniqueness of Carbon , Classification of organic compounds – Hybridization of carbon in organic compounds.
- Structural and Stereoisomerism, Baeyer strain theory, Conformation and configuration – Specific rotation – Chirality, Enantiomers, Diastereomers– Racemic mixture – Resolution methods Inductive effect, Mesomeric effect, Hyperconjugation and Electromeric effect – Steric effect.
- organic reactions: Substitution, Addition, Elimination and Rearrangement . Mechanisms of SN1, SN2, E1 & E2 Nomenclature of organic compounds– Preparation and properties of alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alkyl halides, alcohols, aldehydes and ketones, carboxylic acids & their derivatives.
- Aromaticity, Huckel’s rule – Structure and stability of benzene, Electrophilic substitution reactions in benzene with mechanisms Grignard reagent-Preparation and synthetic applications Classification of polymers, preparation and applications of important polymers, biodegradable polymers Biomolecules: Carbohydrates, proteins, nucleic acids, vitamins (Classifications with examples, applications/functions)
- Particle dynamics-Newton’s laws of motion, rotational dynamics, conservation laws- Linear momentum, angular momentum, energy. Simple harmonic motion, damped and forced oscillations, wave motion-progressive waves, super position of waves, Doppler effect.
- Frames of reference, special theory of relativity Elasticity-Young’s modulus, rigidity modulus, bulk modulus, surface tension, viscosity.
- Electrostatics, transient current, current electricity, electromagnetic induction, alternating current, magnetic properties of materials.
- Semiconductor physics- diodes, transistors, amplifiers, oscillators, logic gates.
- Reflection, refraction, dispersion, interference, diffraction, scattering, polarization, fibre
optics, lasers, basic idea of spectroscopy.
- Heat and thermodynamics-conduction, convection, radiation,laws of thermodynamics, Carnot engine, entropy.
- Statistical distribution-ensemble, phase space, Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics.
- Bohr atom model, vector atom model, hydrogen spectra, nuclear structure and properties, radio activity, nuclear fission and fusion, elementary particles.
- Crystal structure, crystal symmetry, miller indices, brevais lattice, Bragg’s law, packing
fraction, super conductivity.
- Wave nature of matter, uncertainty principle, postulates of wave mechanics, Schrodinger equation.
Download High School Assistant Syllabus 2018 – (Physical Science) Malayalam Medium in PDF – Click Here >>